If you are a novice to the remote desktop access, then it is important for you to know that it is a great way to get connected with another PC remotely and ultimately getting your work done. Else, you could not have been got your work done unless you are physically at the machine. Generally, remote desktop are used to connect to the servers at offices for connecting it to user’s computer in order to provide tech support and then connect the PC at home or at any other accessible place to access the necessary files.
Before accessing the PCs remotely, one has to understand the installation and working of the remote access. Here we have briefed out remote assistance for XP. There are some of the basic things that one need to understand which are as follows:
- The remote desktop works with the Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and the Windows 8 machine. This makes Windows platform or Windows OS more suitable for remote access technique.
- You need to ensure that you are being logged in as the computer administrator on the machine for setting the system for the remote access. In case, if you have bought a computer from a store or just got it straight from the manufacturer, you need to first create an Administrator account.
- Next step involves setting up the password for the administrator account. If sin case you do not opt to set up the password for the administrator account, you may not be able to establish a remote connection as the remote desktop will not work. The Remote Desktop generally does not allow one to connect to the computer with the user account that does not have a password.
- If the computer that you are connecting to is running on the Windows XP SP3, then you need to open the firewall in order to allow the remote desktop connections. After that, going into settings, one has to ensure that the Remote Desktop check box is checked.
- Lastly, one has to tell the Windows that they want to allow the users to connect the system remotely for making the remote desktop working correctly.
Thus, this is how a remote connection is being established between two PCs while allowing its access from any part of the world. One has to first try to connect the XP machine from another computer on the home network. For the remote connection, one has to go to the other computer and then click on Start, All programs, Accessories, Communications and the Remote Desktop Connection. If you want to connect with a Windows XP machine from the Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, just click on the Start in order to perform a search for the remote desktop connection. In the case of Windows 8, you can go to the start screen and type in order to perform a search.
Type the IP address or the name of the computer in the dialog box. For knowing the IP address of any of the computer that you want to connect to, you can go to the command prompt and type ipconfig and press enter. You will get to know the IP address of the PC and you can access it remotely after that. Thus, this is how you can have remote access to your system from any other accessible area.